Ready for Braces? Have a Pre-Party!
Get your kids excited for braces: have a “pre-party” for their teeth!
Your kids are excited to start working their way toward straighter teeth, but they might not be thrilled to have to give up some of their favorite snacks. We have some tricks for you to get your child ready for the day they first get their braces on – throw a pre-party for their teeth! Plan a day full of meals made up of the foods that your kids will have to take a break from once they have their braces. Consider serving up foods that are crunchy or chewy, maybe even some sweet treats as well! Classics like popcorn, corn on the cob, even caramel apples will bring an extra big smile to your child’s face. Remember that even food that is “braces safe” can’t be eaten in traditional ways when your kids have braces. We recommend that when braces are involved, pieces of pizza should be cut up into small pieces to make chewing them safer for braces. So at the braces pre-party, let your kids eat pizza the old fashioned way!
Here is a sample menu for your child’s last day before braces:
- Bagels – this favorite can easily bend the wires in their mouth, so let your child savor a few last bites of bagel and their favorite topping (butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, etc.) before they need to take a break from this breakfast!
- Pizza – without having to cut it up! Pizza crust and braces don’t mix, so let your kids have all of the crust they want on this day.
- Apples or pears – there should be some healthy food during the braces pre-party too! These fruits are always fun to bite into, but those bites can be very damaging to your child’s braces.
- Chicken wings – (with the bone) or ribs. Let your child bite into a juicy wing or rib one more time before they get their braces.
- Corn on the cob – corn off the cob is fine with braces, but it can be an extra special treat to eat it straight from the cob.
- Hard cookies – these can also damage equipment, so let your kids enjoy them one more time before they get their braces.
The Party Part
Give your kids a special surprise by having their favorite non-braces foods ready for them after dinner while you play their favorite game or watch their favorite movie.
- Candy canes
- Any sugary candy
After this party, your kids will be more than ready to get their braces on and get started working toward their perfect smile. To keep going with the fun, plan a post-braces party with all of the same snacks!